5 fun things to do in Sausalito
If you’re looking for a quick getaway from the city while visiting San Francisco, why not head to the seaside town of Sausalito?! This small town with a Mediterranean vibe, beautiful scenery and super friendly locals offers a laid back atmosphere and plenty to do. Parking was easy, there are public restrooms in town and there is a Visitor Center if you need help finding things to see and do. Here’s what we enjoyed!
- Take in the scenery at Gabrielson Park. Located next to the harbor with views of Angel Island and San Francisco across the bay, I could spend hours here just soaking up the sun and enjoying the view.
- Grab an ice cream at Lappert’s. With some traditional flavors as well as a few unique ones, this hand dipped ice cream is really a treat. I got Kaui Pie, which is a coffee ice cream with fudge, coconut and macadamia nuts and it was divine! G went with her standard order of Cookie Dough…yummmm. Sooooo good
- Explore downtown. With many unique little shops and galleries, Sausalito can keep you busy for hours. Bridgeway street, right by the waterfront, has all of the touristy stuff; but if you venture a little more into downtown, you will find Caledonia Street which is a lot less touristy. I was told by a local that many people visiting the town usually overlook this area. But if you have the time, it’s worth checking it out!
- Take the ferry. It’s a 30 minute trip that will take you into San Francisco from Sausalito. The views from the ferry alone are worth the trip, and if you’re up for exploring San Francisco without fighting traffic, the ferry will take you to right to Fisherman’s Wharf.
- Visit Marin Headlands. Located just outside of Sausalito, Marin headlands is a great escape to nature. If you’re driving, this is a great opportunity to get some gorgeous photos of the Golden Gate bridge while there, hike a few trails, check out Point Bonita Lighthouse and if you’re feeling adventurous, make the trek down to Black Sand Beach. Check out our post on tips for visiting Marin Headlands!